Friday, May 20, 2011

How Old Are You, Really?

and How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you were?

I have been thinking about this ...... question.....over and over again for a while now.
What is with our country's big obsession with age?

You have to be a certain age to legally do certain things (drive, drink, smoke, vote, gamble, etc.).
Children are grouped by their age and are stuck with the same people to socialize and interact with for their entire childhood. (I could go on and on about this one)
You can receive money from the government, at a certain age.
Your car insurance goes down, once you are a certain age.


but, who is to say you will learn best with the other twelve year olds in your 6th grade class? And what if you're not ready to drive when you're 16? What if you know more about our government, and the current election when your 17, then most 40 year olds do? They still get to cast their vote, but you do not.

Is this system really fair??


Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm 21 and I feel like I'm 35.

Or maybe I'm going through an I'm.only.going.to.be.young.once.I.must.capture.my.youth faze of some sort.

All I know is, at my place of employment, my two closest friends are 18 and 50.

And in my professional opinion, you gain knowledge with experience.......not age.
(because we all know there are some old ass baby-boomers out there with an IQ still stuck in the mid 60's)

To me, your age is the number of years you have been alive, and that's it. So why does everyone make it so complicated?

What are your thoughts on age?

4 comments:

  1. Good call, girl-- I like that you said your BF's at work are 18 and 50. I have always argued the same thing: I like who I like, and the age never matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you so much on the point that age doesn't matter. I have a few close friends that are older, and as you know I married a guy 5 years older than me. Ain't nothin' but a number.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, Yep mine is also five years older. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, very well spoken. I have a 90 year old grandmother more alive at heart, a 67 year old father with more energy, and a 22 year old daughter wiser, than many 40 year olds I know! Perception!

    ReplyDelete